Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Kenya: Time Out

For a week at the beginning of June my brother (who had just arrived in South Africa) and I were given the opportunity to go to Nairobi, Kenya. We, along with two others, were responsible for working with the missionary kids (mks) during their annual East African Sectional Meeting at Brackenhurst Conference Center. Brackenhurst is beautiful! We were responsible for the 2 to 5 year olds each day from 8am to 4pm while their parents were attending the various meetings. We played games, did crafts, had Bible stories, enjoyed the playground, and became experts at some Veggie Tales (thank God for movie time). The children were wonderful and such a blessing throughout the week even though some points were challenging. During the evenings and nights I was able to have some precious God and I time; I sat in the coffee shop at Brackenhurst and was able to listen and breathe... Sometimes life in Johannesburg can get very trying emotionally and spiritually and you don't really realize it until you intentionally remove yourself from the situations, make yourself breathe, and just rest in God. That's what this week was for me; even though our "job" was to minister to the missionary children in East Africa; God also ministered to me and gave me a refreshing drink of His peace, love, and His sustaining presence....at the end of the week though I was ready to get back home to Johannesburg.

No comments: